Sunday 15 September 2024

Deck Review: Total Tarot's Fairy Tarot by Pietro Alligo & Antonio Lupatelli


Distant relatives of the Gnomes, the Fairies are very jokers and often make heavy jokes. But Fairies also like to help humans, with very practical ways, like these cards.

The Fairy Tarot is therefore enchanted: it allows you to face reality with a positive attitude, it helps to play down every worry and to overcome difficulties in a light and detached way.

You can see the flickthrough on Tiktok. I also did a deck interview spread.

Total Tarot is a bimonthly magazine designed to help teach anyone how to read tarot. With every two issues, readers get a complete tarot deck from Lo Scarabeo, one of the major Tarot companies on the market. The art of these decks is true to the originals, but they have frames where the originals don't and the LWB is not included, instead there is some information in the magazine about the history of the deck and the specific meanings attached to cards. This is a great collection if you want to try a lot of styles of deck at very reasonable prices - I'm learning a lot about my preferences!



First Impressions
This deck is designed to introduce us to the world of fairies. As a Total Tarot deck, I can't talk about the box or presentation. The cards are standard size and feel lovely and smooth in my hands. The art is reminiscent of children's books, which makes sense as the illustrator also worked on children's picture books! The fairies are depicted as a race living under a benevolent Emperor and Empress, with the Fool shown as an Elf exploring their world and meeting different characters along the way.



The cards have something of the style of picture books, making them feel nostalgic and gentle. The colours are gentle and the images are fun; children would enjoy looking at these ones.

The Cards
The back of the cards feature this reversible image:


Major Arcana: The Major Arcana has Justice at 8 and Strength at 11. Several of the cards have been renamed to match the theme, but these names are only listed in the Little White Book, not on the cards themselves. If you go by the cards themselves you won't see any difference. Majors have their numbers, in Roman numerals, at the top and bottom of the cards, but no mention of their name.



A few examples of renamed cards; Justice is called The Dryad; The Wheel of Fortune is The Oread, a spirit of luck; and the World is known as The Globe!

Minor Arcana: Minor Arcana cards are a sort of mix of pips and illustrated; there are small images at the bottom of the card, with pips above. The Minor suits have been renamed; Leaves for Swords, Bells for Pentacles, Hearts for Cups and Acorns for Wands. Minors have their number, in Arabic, or Court symbol, at top and bottom. The name of the suit is not mentioned, so you need to go by the image. 


I found that some of the images didn't match the usual meaning of the card, but it wasn't enough to throw me off.

This 2 of Pentacles looks more like a 2 of Cups to me.


Card Stock and Size: The card isn't the thickest I've worked with, but it's smooth and nice to hold, and they shuffle very well. As I mentioned, they're standard tarot size, and fit nicely in my hands.


In Use
Intuition and Connection: This deck combines two things I find difficult; pips and renamed Minors. It made it hard for me to connect at first, but as things went on I found I was having more luck with my readings.
Clarity of Readings: At first, readings were tricky with this one, but as I spent more time with it I found readings started to flow more clearly. This is a deck to take time and get to know.

In reading for a friend, I interpreted one card as meaning they lacked support in work; that seemed strange to me as they had mentioned a supportive manager several times, but then they revealed he had taken a leave! I found that interesting. The friend also mentioned that the images reminded them of the Wizard of Oz, which I hadn't considered.

Suitability for Different Skill Levels: I can't recommend this one for beginners. The lack of names on the cards, pip design and renamed Minors make it a very tricky deck. But for people who are more comfortable with the cards, this is a great one to stretch your abilities a bit.



Final Thoughts
While not a deck for beginners, this is certainly a fun one, and great for experienced readers. The art style is fun and engaging, and I found readings worked well once I got used to the deck. Consider adding this one to your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday Spread: Interview spread, Sugar Skull Tarot deck

Welcome to the Wednesday spread! This deck is one I've had for a while, but not used recently; when I reviewed it I was very early in my...