Sunday, 4 October 2026

Different Decks, Same Question: Rocky Horror Show, Tarot for You and Me, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

As part of reviewing Rocky Horror Show Tarot, I thought I'd put it up against a couple of other decks. I've enjoyed using it in readings and spreads, and now I'm curious how it compares to decks you might be familiar with. So here we go. Three decks, three cards, three different approaches.

Why these decks? Tarot for You and Me is a highly inclusive deck, while Buffy is my top rated fandom deck (and famously queer friendly.) I'm hoping to see how each one handles the same cards. I've drawn blind from Rocky Horror for this one, so let's see!


Six of Wands

Rocky Horror: Six of Candelabras

Rocky Horror is a pip deck, so this shows six candelabras against a spiral background. Candelabras are a good match for Wands and a very Rocky feature.


Tarot for You and Me: Six of Lanterns

A young man holds up a brightly coloured lantern, preparing to add it to five others overhead. He's proud and celebrating, but unlike some versions of this card he's alone.


Buffy: VI of Stakes

The Buffy deck is one of the few fandom decks with fully illustrated Minors. This card shows one of Buffy's practise dummies, pierced with six stakes. Worth celebrating!


Four of Swords

Rocky Horror: Four of Lightning Bolts 

Four lightning bolts dance against the background. The colours are eye-catching, although there's not much else to the image.


Tarot for You and Me: Four of Flags

Four flags decorate lampposts, bright and eye-catching. The street is quiet around them, giving this card a much more peaceful feel.


Buffy: The IV of Stakes

The Buffybot rests on a slab, quietly charging herself back up. So far this card is closest to the original artwork!



Death

Rocky Horror: Death

This is the only deck I've seen that uses the same characters to represent different Majors and court cards at different points in their arcs. It's a really clever idea. Here Riff Raff, wielding his laser, prepares to end their time on Earth and bring Frank back under control. It's a huge shake up and a very apt moment for Death.


Tarot for You and Me: Death

At first glance, mysterious - but with a little thought it makes sense. A skull rests in water with a palm tree growing from its' crown. The moon is bright overhead.


Buffy: Death

It had to be the Gentlemen, of course, looming in their hidden lair, surrounded by their stolen hearts. Buffy's fairytale villains certainly changed a few things in Sunnydale.



Closing Thoughts

This was a really interesting comparison. Even when the underlying card is exactly the same, each deck brings its own perspective to it. Rocky Horror tends towards simplicity, Tarot for You and Me often builds its meaning through atmosphere and symbolism, while Buffy can use very specific moments and characters from the show.

And that's really what I was hoping to see. There's no single way to illustrate a tarot card, and seeing three very different approaches side by side makes it much easier to appreciate what each deck is trying to do. Now I'm even more curious to see what the next spread brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Different Decks, Same Question: Rocky Horror Show, Tarot for You and Me, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

As part of reviewing Rocky Horror Show Tarot, I thought I'd put it up against a couple of other decks. I've enjoyed using it in read...