Sunday 26 May 2024

Total Tarot's Universal Celtic Tarot by Floreana Nativo and Cristina Scagliotti


This deck combines the Tarot’s tradition with ancient Celtic legends, creating a magical atmosphere, a mystical world in which to travel with eyes, heart and spirit.

As a Total Tarot deck, there's no unboxing, but you can watch the flickthrough video on Tiktok.


Total Tarot is a bimonthly magazine designed to help teach anyone how to read tarot. With every two issues, readers get a complete tarot deck from Lo Scarabeo, one of the major Tarot companies on the market. The art of these decks is true to the originals, but they have frames where the originals don't and the LWB is not included, instead there is some information in the magazine about the history of the deck and the specific meanings attached to cards. This is a great collection if you want to try a lot of styles of deck at very reasonable prices - I'm learning a lot about my preferences!

This deck was based on Celtic myths, mostly Irish, Welsh and Scottish. Several of the characters and situations depicted on the cards are specific myths - the Lovers, for instance, shows Cú Chulainn, his wife and his lover, showing the determination and sacrifice this card can represent. The magazine only has snippets of the myths but I'd love to know more about the specific influences. (Cú Chulainn features in several other cards as well.)


The cards feature this, non reversible back. If you don't want to know if you've dealt reversals before you turn them over, this isn't a good deck for you.


The colours here are rich and deep, drawing the eye into the scenes. Symbolism abounds, from the specific shades to the triskells to the Norse runes on some cards. I don't know enough about runes to know, but I'm sure they add to the meanings and add layers to the interpretations. Maybe I should learn the runes next...


Majors have their name and number, in Roman, across the bottom. Minors have their number, in Arabic, and suit name, also across the bottom.

I'm torn about recommending this for complete beginners. It's RWS based, but some of the cards stray from the 'usual' images, so it might be a bit tougher. On the other hand, the art is gorgeous, and they're all close to RWS, and I have to assume the LWB has more in depth meanings and explanations. I think I wouldn't recommend it as a very first deck, but certainly after that I think users would be able for it.

Here are some images from the deck:


My Querants found that the readings from this deck were generally quite positive and cheerful, and they liked the colours and details on the cards. I've enjoyed working with it and I think it'll be a good addition to my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday Spread: Interview spread, Sugar Skull Tarot deck

Welcome to the Wednesday spread! This deck is one I've had for a while, but not used recently; when I reviewed it I was very early in my...